Monday, November 23, 2009

A Teacher's Prayer of Thanksgiving


Thank you, God, for I am a teacher. As a teacher, I have the power to educate, to inspire, to challenge, to comfort, to reassure, to ennoble. The scope of my influence is incalculable; each of my students leaves my classroom changed in some way by what I did and said. Through those students, I have the power to change the world.

Thank you for entrusting me with that responsibility. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to do what I love. Thank you, too, for providing those things that enabled me to love what I do. Thank you for:

* the administrator who trusted my judgment and supported my decisions -- no matter who questioned them.

* the parents who faithfully showed up for parent-teacher conferences -- to listen, to communicate, to cooperate.

* the surprise assembly that held my students' interest -- and got me off my feet.

* the substitute who, without complaint, turned sometimes sketchy plans into exciting lessons.

* the student who struggled but refused to give up.

* the creative teammate who freely shared her best ideas.

* the party at which no self-described wit expounded on my "high pay and short hours."

* the student who suddenly "got it."

* the days with no surprises.

* the student who knew more about technology than I did.

* the unexpected absence of my most disruptive student.

* the specials who provided activities that supported my curriculum.

* the colleague who covered my class for five minutes so I could run to the restroom.

* the practical in-service session that held my interest.

* the competent aide who gave me time to teach.

* the volunteers who baked cupcakes, chaperoned field trips, and provided enrichment activities.

* the colleague who swappped recess duty -- or cafeteria duty or bus duty -- when I absolutely, positively had to have a few minutes to myself.

* the unexpected holiday.

* anyone who -- at any time, for any reason -- remembered to say "Thank you for being a good teacher!"

You can read this and more timely Starr Points columns at the Starr Points archive.

No comments:

Post a Comment